Writing is an art, not an exact science
When you study math, 1+1 = 2 not 3,4,5 or 100. It applies everywhere around the world. Whether you’re in Indonesia or Malaysia, in US or UK, in Sahara or Antartica, 1+1 = 2. You can’t treat writing like a math or physics or chemistry which has many theories, postulates, laws, formulas and hundreds or even thousands of complex mathematical calculations. Sometimes, writing isn’t only about ‘brain’s work’ but also ‘feelings’, except you write a thesis/dissertation/scientific journal/research paper or in other words ‘academic writing’. So, does it mean we can write carelessly without obeying the rules?
Of course, that’s A BIG NO! Although you can write anything you want, you can write in varies forms, you can write with your own style, you still have to obey the rules. Then, what are the rules that must be obeyed?
- First, originality and authenticity are must! Every writer has their own style and way in expressing their ideas or feelings through writing. They also have their perspective in figuring out the problems or phenomenon around them. Originality is more about how you think independently and creatively when you create something. Meanwhile authenticity is more about the quality of something that you create.
- Second, plagiarism isn’t permitted! Because you have to be creative and your writings have to be authentic, there shouldn’t be an element of plagiarism in your works. It’s okay to take an inspiration from others, but, don’t be a copycat!
- Third, pay attention to the use of punctuation, capital letters, spelling, diction, grammar and other writing techniques. Maybe, it’s a bit difficult and troublesome. But, it’s important when you want to publish your writing on media or publish your own book. Because, if the technical things like this get messed up, your work can be rejected. Well, actually, it can be learned while still writing.
- Fourth, cohesiveness between sentences, paragraphs and title and its contents. Don’t make a clickbait article!
- Fifth, be careful of typos! If there’re only few typos, no problem. But, too many typos are so annoying and hurt your readers eyes.
No need certain education level or bachelor degree to be a good writer. Because a good writer is forged through learning continuously. It’s not only about ‘raw talent’, but also hardwork and even smartwork. Because talent without hardwork is nothing.
A good writing is simple yet understandable, not complicated and convoluted. You don’t need to use many scientific or difficult words, except you write a thesis/dissertation/scientific journal/research paper or in other words ‘academic writing’. Remember, your readers are from various background. What if they are uneducated people? (I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to insult or underestimate them). Let alone them, even highly educated people sometimes can be lazy and bored when read something too theoretical (I don’t know how about you, but, I feel it XD). They may have different educational,social,cultural and religious backgrounds from you. So, you have to make sure that your explanation can be understood by them. Even better if you can make them relate to what you write. Don’t get me wrong, a simple yet understandable writing isn’t easy to be created. Because not all people can explain difficult and complicated things simply.
Have a great day, everyone! Don’t forget to be happy.